Mr Lewis Ashby was born in Colchester in 1881. As an Assistant Master at North School he boarded with Georgina Newman who was the Head of the Infant School, first in St Isaac’s Walk and later in Rawstorn Road. He married in 1914 and left for the military in 1916.
At the end of the war he moved to Clacton, remarried in 1926 and became a Headteacher. In 1939 he lived in Clacton with his wife Lilian and his sister Laura who was an elocution and singing teacher. Lewis died in 1959.