Frank Lilley ( 1885 – 1917 ) lived with his family at 4 Crowhurst Road when he attended North School. His father William was a police sergeant. In 1908 Frank joined the Royal Navy and in 1911 he was working as an Engine Room Artificer stationed in the Mediterranean.
Frank died of heatstroke on 25 July 1917 in hospital at Kurna. He had been serving on board HMS Scarab, a gun boat designed for shallow waters such as those of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. He is buried in Makina Masus New Extension Cemetery, Basra, Iraq.
Frank is remembered at home on the roll of honour in St Mary at the walls Church (now Colchester Arts Centre.)
1894 – 1903 Admission Register
UK, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen’s Services, 1853-1928
UK, British Army and Navy Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 1730-1960