Frank Newell

Bertie Newell (1887 – 1914) and Frank Newell (1892 – 1915 ) lived at 77 Albert Street when they attended North School. Their father James worked as a gardener and their mother Harriet was a tailoress working from home. They also attended Boys Brigade at St Peters Church on North Hill.

Bertie joined the Essex Regiment in 1904 and in 1911 was based in India. He arrived in France in August 1914 and was killed in action in November 1914. He was awarded the 1914 star and clasp which means he served under enemy fire in the earliest weeks of the war, a time when troops were training and mobilising. He is remembered on the Ploegsteert Memorial in Belgium.

Frank left school in 1906 when he was 14. He joined the Royal Field Artillery and in 1911 was in South Africa. He arrived in France on 22nd December 1914 and was killed in March 1915 when he was 24.

The Parish Magazine of St Peters records that the brothers were both killed at Ypres.

The Newell brothers are remembered on the St Paul’s Church roll of honour now displayed at St James the Great, East Hill.

1894 – 1903 Admission Register
1903 – 1913 Admission Register
1901 census
1911 census
UK, Army Registers of Soldiers’ Effects, 1901-1929
British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920